Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sleepover Time!

I know you’re all excited for this post? I mean, BLOGGER SLEEPOVER??! Yay!

There are a lot of pictures, so I’ll keep the talking to a minimum…or typing I should say.

I woke up early yesterday morning to start working on these:

blog 101

Some people are getting packagesssss!

Anyhow, this is what they consisted of: Whipper Snappers!

In Lemon:

blog 095

And Chocolate:

blog 094

Can you tell what the ingredients were? Super simple and way easy!

1. Mix all three things

  • 18oz cake mix of your choice
  • one egg
  • 8 oz of thawed cool whip

2. Spoon into ball and roll in powdered sugar

3. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and presto!

You got yourself cookies! (You can see a more intricate display of them here from last years Christmas Baking Extravaganza!)

Another recipe I tried was from one of my mom’s old school recipe mini books that we’ve been using forever.

The Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Snack Bars were deemed “a healthy recipe” so of course I couldn’t pass it up! I made a few subsitutions and used M&M’s instead of chocolate chips, added in English Toffee Bits, and Peanuts instead of walnuts. They were nice and moist!

blog 099 blog 100

Then I headed out for the evening to Bobbi’s house in the mountains for a great night of Sushi Making (I think I should take this up as a job, I’ve now taught her and Meghann!) and more Baking!

We started off by preparing the insides of our sushi which included:

  • Steamed Squash
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber
  • Bell Pepper
  • Sprouts
  • Avocado

blog 105

Making and cooling brown sticky rice (this stuff is amazing! 90 seconds in the microwave and that’s it!)…

blog 106

Then rolling time! I brought a sushi roller to help Bobbi out on her first time making sushi, but only had one so I went sans roller, which isn’t too hard once you get used to the concept! In mine I included a bit of everything:

blog 107 blog 108

Look at these babies! And boy was I hungry so I dove into those things!

blog 111 blog 114

Then of course we did some holiday baking…for ourselves! We started off by making Tina’s Banana Oatmeal Chip Cookies but used more chocolate chips and forgot the walnuts...

blog 115 blog 118

And then they came out, Bobbi accidently threw the pan on the counter because there was a hole in her mit and it almost burnt her. Too funny not to photo.

blog 119

Finished Product:

blog 122

I had to sample one three and omg it was like banana bread in chocolate chip cookie form…though we could have used a more ripe banana for more enhanced flavor. And more cinnamon, def more cinnamon.

blog 120

Our second and last baking product was something Bobbi had never made, and I have done a few times, either failing miserably or succeeding greatly: Scones!

We took the recipe off Meghann’s Blog from this summer when she tried them and just used chocolate chips instead of raisins (do we see a trend here?!)

blog 121

Our Spiced Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones before they went in the oven:

blog 123

And after! They came out beautifully!!! I can’t wait to try one!

blog 124

We stayed up really late chatting and finally hit the hay because we knew we would be getting up for a nice RUN and my first ever experience of KICKBOXING!!! Hopefully I won’t hurt myself but I guarantee you, I will be whining about how soar I am tomorrow!

We’re off to Christmas shop afterwards! Have a great Saturday!

PS Check out Bobbi's Post to see the more gorgeous and step by step kind of pictures! My point and shoot is starting to die...and my fingers were always messy, hence fewer photos!

21 comments:

theemptynutjar said...

Melissa, I am so impressed by your baking. That is great! Have a nice day.

findinghappinessandhealth said...

i'm so jealous of your sushi making! that looks like so much fun :) ive always wanted to make homemade sushi.. it's legitimately on me and gardner's 'to do list'

xoxo
shelley

funnyemily said...

soo much fun!! i am dying to try to make sushi, maybe i'll get on that when i get home :)
what a great time had by all, hope you guys have a wonderful day!!

Jenny said...

girl you have been doing WORK in the kitchen lately. Your baking skills are off the charts!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama said...

WOW - I am in AWE over all of your food pictures!

jenngirl said...

Wow I've never heard of those cake mix cookies! How simple and easy :)

I love the way you make homemade sushi. It all looks awesome! I'd love to try one of those scones as well ;)

C.G. the Foodie said...

Sounds like a fabulously fun time!!!

christie, honoring health said...

Hooooray! Glad you had such an awesome time with Bobbi!

brandi said...

what a fun night! all the baked goods look AMAZING...especially those scones and the oatmeal snack bars!

biz319 said...

So jealous of all your cooking!! Glad it was such a great time - I'd be all over that sushi!

I just remembered you and Meghann made the zucchini sushi!!

sweetandfit said...

I'm so jealous of your sushi making dinner! I remember when you and Meghann made zuchinni sushi, it looked sooo good!

you have to visit the DC area =)

Erica said...

so many awesome packed goods! Nice work. I bet you had a blasty making up all these goodies. I've been wanting to make those scones from Meghann's blog- they look just incredible. Hope you had fun kickboxing :)

ktbwood said...

you are sooo cute!! look at you miss homemaker!! baking, sushi, kickboxing you got the whole package! you GO GIRL!! hope you had a fantastic saturday :)

Krista said...

A blogger sleepover sounds like a blast!! And I love when you post all your baking...YUM!!!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said...

Pure fabulousness!

From Here to There. In Purple. said...

I want to make sushi! Gah, I should get a kit or something, hehe.

Hope the rest of your weekend was joyful, darling

bec xo

Jeri said...

I'm so jealous! I want a sushi/baking date with you. :( Hmph. Everything looks soooooo good. Now that I've gotten Nick to EAT some sushi rolls, I think it's time to have a date night making them. Thanks for the idea. ;) And I checked out bobbi's blog, and you look goooooorgeous in all those pics. Holy cow. Such a pretty pretty girl. :)

Diana said...

Oh man, I love that idea for whippersnappers! Sounds like an easy idea for mass-producing treats to give away. You seem to have your strategy down. :)

Katy said...

Jealous! :)

I love making sushi -- I buy the nori and rice paper rolls in bulk because it's so decadent to have sushi and rolls for lunch at work. And they're so easy to put together!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) said...

Hooray! I (finally) retrieved my bloggie secret santa package from the post office today. The mailman tried to deliver it to my apartment on Monday, but I had to work late all week and wasn't home :-(

Anyway, thank you thank you thank you! I just finished a 15K race and the oatmeal m&m bars were a perfect post-run treat :-)

I've had a little nibble of almost everything so far - your package was so thoughtful!

Happy Holidays,
Megan

Amanda said...

Lemon whipper snappers were my favorite!!! Thank you so much for the package! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from all us Smiths!